I did something this weekend that was so utterly cool....... I mean, out-of-the-box waaaayyyy cool.
Son and I went to our local African American Heritage Festival, and had a complete blast.
The vendors, crafts and music were awesome, but the thing that was the most mind-splitting stupendous was the AFRICAN DRUMMING!!!!!
We showed up just in time to join a free class and, suddenly, beautiful drums were thrust in our hand and we were sitting in a great large group of beautiful people, with all degrees of expertise..... all jamming together! I hope I am getting the instructor's name correct-- Obayana Olumide-- was inspiring, fun, and electric. He is an African percussionist who was the first drummer to lead Guinea's First National Dance Troupe.
The VERY experienced drummers were gracious and kind, and the hardest part was not getting too caught up in what they were doing(because they were amazing) and forgetting the particular beat that was assigned for us to contribute!
Thanks to Kathryn, another homeschool mom for the info. for that wonderful day. What a stress buster......
I think darling son and I need drums for Christmas......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment