Monday, November 10, 2008

Homer would kill me.......

So, after careful consideration, I may need to up my sleeping intake, or well, find some good ginko biloba to gobble down in hoards.

Henry was awesome today... he is so sharp, and we enjoy our learning time together. We hit spelling, language arts, math--- played games of chess, our new favorite. We are enjoying the ancient Greeks right now and I combine lessons from Story Of the World and Sunlight curriculum's Core 1, and many other add-ins.

For history today, we covered topics on siege engines like the Assyrians used (cool ,'cause they look like the ones used on Lord of the Rings) the Mycenaeans, the Greek alphabet, Nebuchadnezzar and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, and the monument builders in Europe( read, Stonehenge) circa 1500BC or so.
We went on a rabbit trail about the blind Greek writer, Homer. Henry was completely absorbed in the one of the stories about Odysseus-- you know the one. About the cyclops. I had to endure whispers of "COOL!" after the big one-eyed monster eats a few of Odsseus's men for breakfast. :)
I continued to read the story, and got to the part where the good 'ol cyclops, warm and tingly from O's sweet wine, lets our hero know he will eat him last, out of the goodness of his heart.

He wants to know O's name. O fibs and says, "Noman".

Only, for some odd reason. I read it NORMAN. ?????

I read the whole way through the story, until when Odysseus pulls off, triumphantly in his ship. Then I realized my mistake. Insert forehead smack here.
I have read this story plenty of times, and have read excerpts of the actual, for-real-and-for-true classical Homer.

I explained my gaffe to Henry, who roared. We laughed for ages. Somehow I am not sure how I could manage to massacre a Greek epic....... alas........ leave it to me.

No comments: