Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Southern Sputter

Today I was thinking about things that make me, or do not make me particularly Southern.
What are the things that I give particular southern atributes.... things from my past, things in the here-and-now? So here is my list, or confessional of sorts:

1. I hate pecan pie. So there. I said it.
2. I love tomatoes, especially warm ones from the sunshine. They remind me of my Grandad.
3. I never want to be near cream gravy. Ever.
4. I love molasses-- on pancakes, in cookies.........
5. I love small loving Southern churches where everyone knows your business, but loves the dickens out of you anyway.
6. Never had a pork rind. The thought of it makes me want to hurl.
7. Sweet tea and homemade bread remind me of my Grandmom and my Nanny, respectively.
8. Love the smell of lilacs, but hate the smell of boxwoods. Remind me of a doctor's office I had to visit as a child. Every time I get a whiff... it makes me woozy.
9.Crabs and seafood-- even knowing all the muck they dine on-- I would still gobble in a minute.
10. I love old photo albums, and love more the stories behind them.
11. I would rather watch moss grow or paint dry than watch sports.
12. I hate Southern stereotypes, love Tennessee Williams, despise fake southern accents.
13. I miss my daddy preaching in a warm southern church in the summer, with all the sweet older ladies with their fans just a flappin'.
14. I love dumplings. I need to rephrase that: I love dumplings.
14. I love hats and flowing skirts on ladies, seersucker suits on gentlemen, and warm southern breezes.

A pal Happywool, on Ravelry in the G.R.I.T.S. (Girls Raised In The South) group supplied a killer quote:
"When outlanders make mistakes, (about being Southern)
they are of such proportions that all you can do is
gasp and wonder if the world is still turning. It is as if
the South is another country on the farther side of the
globe, and National Geographic hasn't sent anyone there
to write about it yet."

I think you either get the Southern thing... or not. It is so large and such a
part of who one is, you cannot contain it in any box, nor place a cap on particular Southern qualities.

I am just glad I was born in the South.

2 comments:

NodakVal said...

I do not like pecan pie. I do not like tomatoes. I like country gravy. Molasses is heavenly. Pork rind = hurl. I love the smell of lilacs, but it gives me a headache. I will eat crab legs any day. I think sports are fun to watch, especially compared to watching moss grow.

Depsite our differences and similarities, I still think you're cooler than I am. :o)

H said...

No way, chickadee. You are way cooler. :) An inspiration.